Genio commissioned a team of researchers from Trinity College Dublin to conduct an evaluation of these four projects. The report titled Towards a full life: an evaluation of family support programmes for people with a disability in Ireland is the account of the evaluation.
Some of the key findings of the report are that:
- For the majority of participants the projects had a positive impact on the person attending, their family member and the family unit
- The projects enhanced knowledge and skills of participants and challenged and changed their thinking about disability
- The projects positively affected the participants ability to advocate for the rights of their family member and engage with services on a more equal footing
- For some participants, the projects resulted in greater involvement and social connections of their family with community
- Participants reported improved quality of life, self-esteem, and confidence for their family member as a result of their increased autonomy, independence, and involvement in decision making.